Sunday, July 5, 2009

Bird York and My Fan Video Fears

After posting my petulant piece on the absence of a music video to the beautiful "Wicked Little High"by Bird York.
I received a mail from her 'webmaster', who I assume is her online media director / PR consultant.
I was really pleased to hear from her (Bird's representative), and she acknowledged the 'gap' in terms of a video for the song.
Part of our conversation included the possibility of a fan video (a reference I made in my post.)

I have always been terrified of fan videos, especially poorly put together scenes from Grey's Anatomy, or worse, entire pieces of beautiful music set to a still image of a C.D cover.
I decided to probe my aversion and YouTube'd my idea of one of the best pieces of music ever penned: Hallelujah, written by Leonard Cohen and sung by Jeff Buckley.
Unfortunately, I retrieved, the entire song as backdrop to the "love triangle" dramatized in Robin Hood (2006).
It was a physically and spiritually painful audio-visual experience.

Here is my dilemma: beautiful music does not belong to its author and can be expressed by a fan or listener that truly appreciates and respects its integrity. Unfortunately, in an age of instant self-publishing, discernment is a rarity.

I hope that anybody who feels the way that I do about Ms. York's music, had been moved by it, and doesn't seek to copy it, would spend the time crafting a worthy visual accompaniment to her song.

Please see Jeff Buckley's mishap: I regret to anticipate that many may enjoy it.

No comments: